“Holding the World Cup every two years” is outside the agenda of the FIFA Congress
Al-Khelaifi: I am not surprised… and Infantino is looking for alternatives
Wednesday – 27 Sha’ban 1443 AH – 30 March 2022 AD Issue No. [
Infantino (Middle East) – Nasser Al Khelaifi (Middle East) – Arsene Wenger (Middle East)
Doha: «Asharq Al-Awsat»
Fifa’s plans to hold the World Cup every two years are not on the agenda for this week’s FIFA Congress, sources told Reuters, but talks are set to focus instead on exploring alternative proposals. .
While delegates will hear an update on deliberations on changes to the international match schedule, the controversial proposal to hold the World Cup every two years, instead of the current format every four years, will not be voted on.
The plan, put forward by FIFA development chief Arsene Wenger and backed by FIFA president Gianni Infantino, has drawn strong opposition from UEFA and leading European clubs.
The FIFA conference in Doha tomorrow (Thursday) was seen as a potentially decisive battle over the idea, but Nasser Al-Khelaifi, president of the European Club Association, said yesterday (Tuesday) that he was not surprised that the proposal was not on the agenda.
“It’s not an idea for us, so we don’t think we need to discuss it…it doesn’t exist for us,” said the Qatari official, who also heads PSG. I think I couldn’t be more clear than that.
And FIFA says discussions are continuing about Wenger’s plans to reform the international match calendar, which determines the tournaments and matches that take place throughout the season. The current agreement on the international match schedule expires in 2024.
Earlier this month, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin indicated that FIFA had now given up on Wenger’s idea.
“Having the World Cup every two years is not desirable for everyone in football,” Ceferin said. I’m glad FIFA recognized that too. We have discussions but for me a World Cup every two years is out of our minds. I am confident that we will reach a solution with FIFA soon.”
The 2022 World Cup will start in Qatar next November, and the draw for the tournament will be held in Doha on Friday.
In addition, the FIFA, in cooperation with the Supreme Committee for Projects and Legacy, which organizes the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, organized a workshop for representatives of local newspapers, on the mechanism for extracting press accreditations for the World Cup, in preparation for its issuance during the coming period.
The workshop was attended by a group of local media professionals and a number of FIFA officials and the Supreme Committee for Projects and Legacy, including Ms. Fatima Al Nuaimi, Executive Director of the Communication Department.
During the workshop, held in Burj Al-Bida, FIFA officials touched on a number of important steps and conditions to ensure that media organizations obtain accreditations immediately after the announcement of the opening of applications for written and digital newspapers and photographers.
They also stressed the need to register on the official FIFA channel, which is available to its accredited media to receive the latest notifications and developments, as the International Football Association adopts the latest systems to keep all media outlets informed of all new developments.
For her part, Fatima Al-Nuaimi, Director of Communications at the Supreme Committee for Projects and Legacy, said that the workshop comes within the efforts of the host country and the International Football Association (FIFA) to continuously communicate with various media outlets and facilitate their mission before the start of the tournament.
Al-Naimi added, in press statements: “We are keen to keep communication channels open at all times with various media outlets, and the workshop we hosted today comes to overcome any obstacles and answer all inquiries that media representatives may have, and we are always ready to assist them in carrying out their duties.” They do their job perfectly.”
FIFA officials provided the attendees with a detailed explanation of the steps involved in the classifications of media professionals during the tournament, such as print newspapers, visual and new media, television and radio broadcasting media, and the broadcast rights campaign for the tournament, in addition to more new procedures to be applied for each category separately during the World Cup.
In addition, Rudi Voller, the former German football player, said that his country’s current team is good enough to compete for the title of the World Cup to be held in Qatar later this year.
Fuller, who won the World Cup as a player in 1990 and led the German national team to the 2002 final, today (Tuesday), told the RND newspapers that he had a lot of confidence in the renewed team led by coach Hansi Flick.
“I definitely see Germany as one of the usual candidates for the title, along with England and Brazil,” said Voller, 61.
“The team has been convincing lately, even if the opponents aren’t a big indicator yet. The team will evolve with the level of the next competitors.”
The German national team has won its eight matches since Flick took over as coach, succeeding Joachim Loew last summer, and the team qualified for the World Cup.
The World Cup will be held from November 21 to December 18, and the draw for the tournament will be held next Friday.
Fuller expressed his wishes that Leverkusen player Florian Fritz recover in time to participate in the World Cup; The player has a serious knee injury, and Fuller said, “I would be very happy” if Fritz and Haveritz played together.