Abbas condemns the killing of Israeli civilians… and warns of the danger of the situation deteriorating
Friday – 7 Ramadan 1443 AH – 08 April 2022 AD
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas (Archive – AFP)
Ramallah: «Middle East Online»
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas condemned today (Friday) the killing of Israeli civilians, yesterday (Thursday) evening, in a shooting attack in the center of Tel Aviv, according to the German News Agency.
In a statement published by the official Palestinian News Agency (WAFA), Abbas said that the killing of Palestinian and Israeli civilians “only leads to a deterioration of the situation, as we all strive to achieve stability, especially during the holy month of Ramadan and the upcoming Christian and Jewish holidays.”
He stressed the “dangerousness of the continuation of the repeated incursions into Al-Aqsa Mosque and the provocative actions of extremist settler groups everywhere.”
Abbas warned against “exploiting this condemned incident to carry out attacks and reactions against the Palestinian people by settlers and others.”
He stressed that the cycle of violence confirms that permanent, comprehensive and just peace is the shortest and sound way to provide security and stability for the Palestinian and Israeli peoples and the peoples of the region.
And Israeli media announced that two people were killed and 16 others were wounded, after they were subjected to a shooting attack in central Tel Aviv.
This operation is the fourth in recent weeks in Israel, where 11 people were killed in three previous operations in the cities of Beersheba, Hadera and Bnei Brak.
On the other hand, about 30 Palestinians have been killed since the beginning of the year by Israeli gunfire in both the West Bank and East Jerusalem, some of them while carrying out offensive operations.
And the Israeli Internal Security Service, “Shin Bet”, announced earlier that the suspect had been killed after he was found this morning (Friday).
The authorities added that the suspect is a 28-year-old Palestinian from Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank, who has no security precedents, and is not affiliated with any organization, and was in Israel without a permit.
Prime Minister Naftali Bennett tweeted, “We are still on high alert, in Tel Aviv and all over the country, out of fear that accidents or attacks like this might happen…Our war against deadly terrorism is long and hard.”
US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said that the United States is closely following developments and will be in regular contact with Israeli partners, “with whom we stand resolutely in the face of senseless terrorism and violence.”