We tell you how to properly cook rice so that it turns out crumbly, tasty and healthy. How to cook long-grain, round, brown and wild rice. How to cook rice in a slow cooker, how to cook rice for sushi.
The basis of everything: rice preparation
If you are interested in the question, how to cook rice so that it crumbles, it is important to understand: first of all, the cereal must be prepared correctly. And here the following instruction will help you:
- Wash the rice under running water 5-7 times. So you can reduce the amount of starch, which is the reason for the additional stickiness of the finished dish. To simplify the process of washing rice, use a sieve.
- To cook rice twice as fast, you can soak it in clean water for 40-60 minutes before cooking. In this case, during cooking, you need to pour a smaller volume of liquid so that the finished rice does not become too viscous.
- If you are preparing risotto or cooking rice for sushi, then you should not wash the groats for too long. 1-2 times will be enough
Utensils for cooking rice
- To cook rice, you need to choose the right dishes. The main thing here is the presence of a cover. After all, it is recommended to cook rice in a completely closed container.
- So that the temperature inside is evenly distributed, take a pot, a large frying pan or a saucepan with a thick bottom for rice. If you need to cook rice for pilaf, then you should choose a cauldron.
- A multicooker-pressure cooker or a steamer is a great option for making crumbly rice. These modern appliances have changed the understanding of how rice is prepared and at the same time preserve all its valuable properties.
How to cook rice in a pressure cooker?
- First of all, you need to choose the right type of rice. In this case, steamed or long-grain rice is best.
- First you need to wash the rice. So you will definitely get crumbly rice in a slow cooker.
- The proportion of rice and water is another important point.
- You will need as much as 4 cups of liquid for two cups of rice.
- Do not forget to immediately add salt, your favorite spices and a small piece of butter to the rice.
- To cook rice in a multicooker, we recommend using the “Pilau” mode.
How to cook rice: proportions of water and grain
Not every housewife knows how to properly cook rice to get a crumbly and tasty dish. Traditionally for rice, the proportions are as follows: 2 cups of water are taken for 1 cup of grain. But not everything is so clear-cut, because you also need to pay attention to the type of rice. For each type of rice, the proportions of rice and water should be as follows:
- steamed – 1 cup of rice for 2 liquids;
- long-grain rice – 1.5 to 2 cups of water are needed for 1 cup of groats;
- wild – for 1 cup of rice you need as much as 3 cups of liquid;
- brown rice – 2.5 to 3 cups of water will be needed for 1 cup of rice;
- round-grained – the same proportions of rice and water as for brown;
- basmati rice – for one cup of rice up to 1.5 cups of water;
- jasmine rice – 1.5-1.7 liquid is needed for 1 cup of rice.
Housewives are often interested in how liquid rice porridge is cooked in milk. To do this, you need to increase the amount of liquid to 6 glasses. And in order to prepare rice for sushi, which should be quite viscous, you need to take at least 4 glasses of water for one part of grains.
How much to cook rice depends on the variety
question about how much to cook rice, so that it turns out crumbly and tasty, everyone is interested. Here, the main role is played by the types of rice:
- long or white round rice should be boiled for about 20 minutes;
- brown or brown rice is cooked for 30-40 minutes;
- wild rice should be boiled for at least 60 minutes;
- and steamed rice will be enough for 20-30 minutes.
An equally important factor that affects how much to cook rice is the chosen dish. If you use a saucepan, ordinary white rice will be cooked in it for about 20 minutes, but in a pan it will be ready in 15. If you cook rice in a slow cooker, the cooking time will be at least half an hour.
How to properly cook rice for sushi
First of all, you need to choose a variety. Sushi rice should be glutinous, but it’s not just overcooked rice porridge. Types with a high starch content, for example, round-grain rice, are best. How to cook it? First of all, do not forget to wash the grains. You can do this only in cold water, because hot water can spoil the rice, washing out all the starch we need from it.
How to cook dry rice — the following instruction will help:
- Before cooking rice for sushi, it also needs to be soaked for a short time. So the grains will become even softer.
- Pour water over the rice in a ratio of 1:1 and leave it for 15 minutes.
- It is recommended to cook rice for sushi in the same water in which you soaked the groats.
- Take a pan with a thick bottom and do not forget about a small fire – then the rice will not burn.
- Do not lift the lid while cooking the rice, otherwise the rice group will overcook.
- How long to cook rice for sushi? Usually, it takes no more than 20 minutes.
- Then the fire should be turned off, and the rice should be left under the lid for another 10 minutes.
If you are trying to cook this Japanese dish for the first time and do not know how to cook rice for sushi, you should remember that the cooling process is very important. This should be done in a wooden or glass container.
You also need not only to know how to cook rice for sushi, but also to prepare a special dressing made of rice vinegar, sugar and salt, which will help the already cooled grains to keep their shape well and not fall apart.
How to cook rice as a side dish: two ways
There are many ways to cook rice. TSN.ua decided to talk about two that are the most popular among housewives.
This method is excellent suitable for long grain or round rice, and also if you are going to use rice as a side dish. To prepare three portions for the family, you will need:
- 1 cup of rice;
- 1.5 cups of water;
- salt and butter.
Here the actions are as follows:
- First, water is poured into the container and brought to a boil.
- Rice must be washed under running water until it becomes transparent.
- When the water boils, you need to salt it, and add rice to the pot.
- Then you should reduce the heat, cover the container with a lid and wait until the liquid evaporates completely (about 20 minutes).
- After that, you need to turn off the stove and leave the finished rice under the lid for 10 minutes.
- Do not forget to season the rice with butter.
- In order for the rice to turn out crumbly, it is not recommended to open the lid and stir the cereal during cooking.
How to cook steamed rice? After 20 minutes, when the water boils, you can remove the lid and immediately put the porridge on plates.
This method is also suitable for brown rice. But the cooking time will be longer – up to 35 minutes.
Frying in oil
This method can be used with any type of rice, but jasmine and basmati are the tastiest. It is the oil that makes the dish very crumbly. You need to take a glass of rice, 1.5 glasses of water, butter or olive oil. The process of how to cook delicious rice with its preliminary frying looks like this:
- rice is thoroughly washed;
- you need to boil water in a kettle or pan;
- oil or oil is heated in a pan with a thick bottom, washed rice is added there (it can be salted immediately);
- the groats are fried for 2 minutes – do not forget to constantly stir the rice;
- boiling water is added, the pan with rice is covered with a lid;
- how long to cook fried rice depends on the variety, but at least 20 minutes (make sure that the water is completely absorbed into the rice);
- let the rice steep for about 10 minutes.
How to cook loose rice: useful tips for all types of rice
No matter what kind of rice you use, there is some advicewhich will help you prepare a delicious dish:
- it is long-grain rice that is considered the most popular for preparing crumbly porridge;
- if you want to cook a rich side dish, you should add spices at the stage of cooking rice or after it is finished (most often it is saffron, cloves, cardamom, curry, cinnamon);
- it is not recommended to stir the rice during the cooking process;
- it is necessary to cook rice only on low heat, otherwise the liquid evaporates quickly, and the grains remain undercooked;
- if you add a tablespoon of sunflower oil to the container where the rice is prepared, you can prepare delicious rice for salads.