According to the Iranian Students News Agency (ISNA), West Azerbaijan Director of Medical Emergencies Ferzin Rızzade made a statement regarding the poisoning from carbon monoxide gas after the Khoy earthquake that occurred on January 28.
Rızzade noted that since January 29, when the first case was seen, about 140 people have been poisoned by carbon monoxide gas due to the coal burned in the tents for heating.
Warning from authorities
Referring to the poisoning cases that took place today, Rızzade stated that his 82-year-old mother and 56-year-old son died as a result of gas poisoning caused by coal in the Firurek district of Hoy.
Authorities warn earthquake victims staying in tents to follow safety precautions and use chimneys if they use heating methods other than electricity.
Thousands of homes damaged
An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.8 occurred on January 28 in the city of Khoy in Iran’s West Azerbaijan province.
West Azerbaijan Governorate announced that 3 people died and 1167 people were injured in the earthquake that destroyed 70 villages.
Cafer Berzeger, the head of the state’s Housing Administration, also announced that 3,500 houses were damaged by 20 to 80 percent in the earthquake.
Source: TRT Haber